Since TVfilm was invented and discovered by man, it has become the leading pastime of all walks of life. Everybody seemed very hooked with the visual entertainment that TVfilm brings. It amazes everyone from toddlers to grandparents. I, myself, have been amazed by the magic of TVfilm to entertain when I first saw Charlie Chaplin, a British actor well-known for his comical acts in mimes and silent films during the World War I. He was the reason why I became interested in films. Two of my all-time favorite films were starred by Charlie Chaplin  The Kid (1929) and Modern Times (1936). Every time a video of his films or acts would be aired on TV, my stomach would surely ache because I couldnt stop laughing. Because of the joy of watching Charlie Chaplin brings to me, it became my therapy whenever I am not feeling well. Personally, I think that he is the most wonderful actor that the show business has ever had. In the history of film industry, he has the most desirable prototype  someone with a derby hat, moustache, tight coat, oversized trousers, huge shoes and sloppy feet. As a matter of fact, his style became a symbol and legend in comedy.

Furthermore, because of my fascination with Charlie Chaplin, I began to crave for more quality and entertaining shows and films. He greatly inspired me because he was not just a good actor he was also a genius filmmaker and writer. His contributions to the development of the film industry were great and very significant. As I studied his life and works, I began to realize that I develop a better understanding in the role and importance of films to human lives. After two courses, I learned that films have the power to influence and educate people. The influence of films to people is very great. Films affect how people develop their opinions about almost everything  from politics to fashion. Furthermore, films educate people. The knowledge that people get from films are very different from what are taught at schools. Hence, films create a realm that serves as an alternative learning environment for people which is great because it has a very broad range and it can attract people from different races and cultures.

So far, I have finished 6 courses with good grades in my field of study all under in the minor list. Although I only needed to finish 2 courses, I decided to pursue more because I enjoyed learning about different things. One of the subjects I took was Introduction to Art and Technique of Filmmaking. In this course, I learned that film is not only an art but also a powerful way to educate and persuade people. I loved the subject because it taught me not only technical things but also more about how people think. Films are for people. Therefore, as one creates a film, he thinks of people and what will influence and satisfy them. In the end, as one learns more about films, he understands people and human nature better. Another subject that I liked was Chicanos in FilmVideo. This subject opened my eyes to the idea that films actually promote impartiality and justice. Media stereotyped Chicanos as dirty and poor gangsters yet, films showed that they must not be isolated and judged roughly just because they were stereotyped that way. Films were instruments that showed the reason behind why Chicanos (Mexicans) act the way do.

I am majoring in Communication Studies and I am very much interested in taking film as minor. I have passion in films and the industry that creates films. I believe I can get more knowledge and understanding from films that I can use in my future in the near future. I love how films open the eyes of people and how it moves the world. In major Communication Studies, film as a minor will definitely be beneficial because it is a great way of sending messages and influencing people. I strong believe that it is the best choice for my minor since I have strong passion towards it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment