Write a clear and detailed description of your studyresearch objectives, and give your reasons for wanting to pursue them. Be specific about your major field and your specialized interests within this field. Describe the kind of program you expect to undertake, and explain how your study plan fits in with your previous training and your future objectives.

My major field of study is Cinema and the reason I am pursuing a course within the American higher education system is the fact that, for over a century, the US film industry has been the worldwide leader, setting and raising the standards of quality film-making by pioneering technologies, developing ideas and producing a constant flow of fresh talent. Simply, I want to learn from the best.

I understand the importance of  good relationships, of mutual agreement and understanding, between the USA and Turkey, as a beneficial factor to Turkeys cultural development. I am aware of the output of American culture into the Turkish society through film and realize the need for Turkish cinema to reflect these influences, reaching a wider audience while maintaining its cultural identity  in the same manner that the US cinema can deal with local (suburbia) or national (Vietnam War) problems and still be able to reach a worldwide audience in this perspective, the Turkish cinema is still too national in character, perhaps too shy to present Turkish society to the world through the art mirror. I believe that the short film is a good medium to start working in this direction as it avoids the scrutiny of the critics, it is easier to circulate and thus allow for a meaningful cultural interaction and can become a great platform where US and Turkish talent can each demonstrate their countries unique cultural values and at the same time share their common needs and attitudes.          

My primary objective for studying film is the mutual cultural understanding between US and Turkish citizens. I intent to research the way cross-cultural friendship between Americans and Turkish is reflected in the cinema of the two countries. My aim is to be able to craft stories about urban migration, documenting the cultural outpour from Turkey to America, and, by using ingredients from both communities, producing a series of short films where both Turkish and Americans can identify themselves into, while at the same time, provide a cultural insight to a wider audience. My interest in the subject has let me to shoot a documentary where I researched the living conditions of the communities of different cultures that populate the suburbs of Izmir in Turkey.      

Further education is essential in achieving my goals. I seek for a course that will provide me with the essential skills to fully realize my potential. These skills include a spherical knowledge of the film production process, a thorough understanding of film genre and expert knowledge of filmmaking techniques. I expect to undertake, and benefit from,  such classes as Directing, Scriptwriting, Filmmaking Experience, American Film History, American and Turkish Society Relationships. I expect to become familiar with current and emerging film practices and technologies and be able to produce short films that will set the path in creating the cinema of the future. I intent to work hard towards achieving my goals by watching as many films as possible, practicing the craft at any given opportunity and gaining as much hands on experience as this is provided.
I seek to produce street-style documentaries about the American and Turkish culture          based on true stories by researching media and history archives. My future aim is to apply the experience I obtain from crafting these short films and the insight they will provide me on the subject matter  in the production of a feature film.

Im applying to Fulbright because I want to study in the USA a different kind of filmmaking, outside of the Turkish model. I strongly believe that studying cinema in the USA will provide me with the vital technical training I need in order to develop my skills and realize my full potential, and also, allow me to form creative relationships that I expect to last long after the course finishes.  Upon my return to Turkey, I trust  to add a strengthening knot to the already fertile relationships between the Turkish and American film industries.    
I am currently studying at the cinema and TV department of Beykent University  anticipated to graduate the following year. I took Graphic Design as a minor field of study which I intent to use as a highlighting technique in storytelling.

This personal statement should be a narrative statement describing how you achieved your current goals. it should not be a mere listing of facts. It should include information about your education, practical experience, special interests, and career plans. Describe any significant factors that have influenced your educational or professional development. Comment on the number of years of practical experience already completed in the field in which academic work will be done in the US.

Cinema has been my passion since an early age, originating from an essay project in junior school where I drafted ideas from both local and foreign films. This interest grew during my years in senior high school and I begun to develop my creative skills and gain technological knowledge.

I have been fascinated by Citizen Kane, a film based on the life of American newspaper tycoon William Randolph Hearst, directed by Orson Welles. Watching this film allowed me to recognize a new style of filmmaking, one that was combining all previous forms of cinematic storytelling into one, groundbreaking genre.

I became familiar with all the arts and researched the history of Turkish cinema. At the age of eleven I took painting which, although not my main interest of study, helped towards expanding my perspective of the arts.
I won a scholarship from Beykent University for study at the cinema and TV department. I worked hard through this four year program which provided me a solid background not only in cinema but also in other disciplines such as graphic design, literature and photography. My training made me realize that directing is a lot more than just determining the camera location  its about developing a series of dramatic events and executing them while devising practical solutions. With this in mind, I produced several short films  more than ten in number, two documentaries, six fiction and many training videos.

My second short film was an adaptation of a Samuel Beckett theater play and the lesson Ive learned during its production was that only through love and friendship we can create the best product. I managed to balance the tension between the group and provided and comfortable environment for the actors, maximizing their performance. I received a grade A for this project, the films royalties were purchased and provided the funds for my next project.

I did my internship at the Turkish Official Channel as an assistant program editor, grasping the opportunity to work on a different media field. By the end of my internship, I was preparing my own program for the networks childrens zone.

I am an active sports fan, my interests range from swimming to martial arts. I love to travel and take photographs. Every summer, during break season I used to work with a film company as an editor and as a production assistant.

My strengths are diligence, enthusiasm and abundance of energy as well as paying attention to detail and the ability to work under pressure. I am friendly, sociable and love to make new acquaintances.  
My goal is to get a career in media production that will allow me the interact with and engage in every part of the process, allowing me to expand the critical, theoretical and historical components of this art form. I aim at making films that promote friendship.                

0 comments:

Post a Comment